- LegalEze, Statutes and Regulations of BC - Provides access to a rapid consolidation of BC's statutes and regulations. Also searchable for regulations bulletins, orders in council, third reading bills, Hansard debates, BC Gazette, consolidated provisions in force, Rules of Court and Related Enactments, and ministry responsibilities. Click on "Agree" to enter.
[Available only in the library]
- Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Online - Provides access to vehicle safety and inspection standards and related BC legislation.
[Available only in the library]
Legal Information Websites
- Duhaime's Legal Dictionary - All definitions are easy to read and all have been painstakingly researched and written in plain language by lawyer Lloyd Duhaime.
- Canada's System of Justice - A basic outline of Canada's legal system from the Department of Justice.
- Richmond Bylaws - Accessible online through three lists: Alphabetic by bylaw title; Numeric by bylaw number; and by Chapter in DRAFT Municipal Code order.
- Statutes and Regulations of BC - BC Laws provides free public access to the current laws of British Columbia. This unofficial current consolidation of BC Statutes and Regulations is updated continually as new and amended laws come into force. BC Laws is published by the Queen’s Printer for British Columbia in partnership with the Ministry of Attorney General and the Law Clerk of the Legislative Assembly.
- Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) - Provides quick access to various federal and provincial courts and tribunals, and their decisions available online. Includes access to all provincial and territorial statutes and regulations, where available online.
- British Columbia Courthouse Library Society (BCCLS) - The BCCLS provides legal information services to the legal community and the general public of British Columbia from the central library in Vancouver and from 49 branch libraries throughout the province. Find online laws, cases, and rules, as well as other resources for the public, at the Society's Clicklaw link.
- BC Dispute Resolution Office - Develops and promotes non-adversarial dispute resolution options within the justice system and government.
- Progress of Bills - A quick-reference table for the progress of proposed bills is also provided on the provincial Legislative Assembly's Web site.
Legal Services Websites
- BC Courthouse Library Society - Research Resources - Guides, including video tutorials,news items, answers to frequently asked legal questions, and more.
- British Columbia Dial-a-Law, Canadian Bar Association. BC Branch - Transcripts of taped phone messages providing free information on specific legal issues. Site is frequently updated as more transcripts are added.
- BC Small Claims Court, Court Services - Provides reference information on current policy, practice and procedure for the Small Claims Court.
- BC Supreme Court Self-Help Information Centre - If you don't have a lawyer representing you, this centre in Vancouver can help you get the information you need to prepare your Supreme Court family or civil case. You can use the centre to learn about the court system and court procedures, get legal information, locate and fill out the relevant court forms, find out about free legal advice, and find alternatives to court.
- Canadian Law List - Contact information for lawyers, judges, and court officials Canada-wide.
- Clicklaw, Legal Services Society BC - Designed to provide the residents of BC with access to legal information, including online laws, cases, and rules.
- Family Law, Legal Services Society BC - Need help to resolve your family law problems? Find facts, guides and definitions about child protection, marriage, divorce, and child/spousal abuse as well as Supreme Court forms and other resources.
- People's Law School - Provides information services and public legal education to the people of BC.
- The Law Centre, Victoria, BC - Provides information, self-help forms, factsheets and booklets dealing with legal aid, traffic tickets, small claims and family court. Operated by the Law Centre Association of Victoria, the Legal Services Society of British Columbia, and the Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, in conjunction with the Victoria Bar Association.
- UBC Law Student's Legal Advice Program - Annually-published manual covering a wide range of legal topics. Includes links to legislation and related
Try searching for other materials in our online catalogue
. You can use terms like "Canadian law
" or more specific terms like "divorce
» Back to All Subject Guides.