To use these databases from home you will need to log on with a Richmond Public Library card.
Consumer Reports magazine online, Ebsco MasterFile Premier [requires library card for home use ] - Ebsco provides the full-text contents of both Consumer Reports Magazine and Consumer Reports Buying Guides for the latest reviews of many different household appliances and other consumer products, plus cars, minivans, SUV's and 4X4's.
Browse the editions of Consumer Reports or try searching the articles using keywords
The magazine's web site Consumer Reports provides further consumer-awareness information other than product ratings.
- Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Online - Provides access to vehicle safety and inspection standards and related BC legislation.
Available only from the library.
- Better Business Bureau of Mainland British Columbia -
Contains extensive information on the most popular scams/frauds currently being used, identity theft, buyers' tips, and help organisations for consumers of all kinds. Search for a report on a local company before dealing with them, or file a complaint.
- Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority (BPCPA) of British Columbia -
The BPCPA is responsible for BC consumer protection activities including investigations and enforcement under a new Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act. It's activities including investigations and enforcement, regulation of targeted industry groups, and information and mediation services offered through a toll free BC consumer complaint centre. Includes consumer information on direct sellers, debt collection, travel services, identity theft, and funeral-cremation services.
Canadian Consumer Information Gateway -
A Canadian Government initiative that includes over 35 federal government departments and agencies, as well as over 250 provincial and territorial partners, who have joined together to promote Canadian consumer interests and awareness. Provides quick access to the latest research and information on a wide range of consumer products and services, and how to resolve consumer-related problems.
- Consumer reports used car buying guide - Provides information on purchasing used cars in the United States.
- Consumer's Association of Canada -
A leading organisation on the marketplace rights and responsibilities of Canadians, and provides an effective voice on government and industry initiatives. Online information covers many issues and activities including health, food, environment, telecommunications, economics & finance, energy, insurance, airlines, and more.
- Industry Canada's website - Documents
services, tools and resources available for consumers related to fraud, telephone scams, debt problems, product and food recalls, antenna structures, satellite broadcasting, solving interference and more.
- Richmond Business Directory - available for free online. Search by business name or type, or download the entire directory. The directory will be updated several times a year and includes Google Map links.
- The Shopping Bags -
Vancouver's own hit TV show on consumer awareness, seen on the W Network, has it's own Web site. Covering many different types of products, the site provides great reviews of the choices available and gives valuable advice on what to buy, and what not to, for different lifestyles and budgets.
- Viewpoints.com - Provides reviews, advice and ratings of many types of products and businesses, written by consumers.
- VPL: Consumer Information & Personal Finance - Provides access to local consumer information resources.